PLEASE read all the way through. Contest details are at the end of this message!
Have you ever had to decide between food and period products for yourself or your daughter? Have either of you missed work or school? If so, my heart goes out to you. But, while these statistics are alarmingly high, I am guessing the majority of us have been fortunate enough to not even have these questions cross our minds when we pick up our monthly tampons. And, while several other countries provide these products for free, in the US they are far from it, with costs continuing to increase.
There is little awareness of period poverty— defined as lack of access to menstrual products, hygiene facilities, waste management, and education.
- 500 million women globally lack access to menstrual products
- 16.9 million people who menstruate in the US are living in poverty
- 2/3 of of the 16.9 million low-income women in the US could not afford menstrual products in the past year, with half of them needing to choose between menstrual products and food
(from joghr.org (Journal of Global Health Reports)
After hearing these alarming statistics and more, I knew that I had to do something to help put a stop to this, starting in my own community. So, I sent out a few emails, asking my friends to thoughtfully consider how they can help those who menstruate in Oregon, WI. Due to the generosity of many amazing people, and through matching funds with my coaching business, MB Coaching, we have kept the Oregon Area Food Pantry stocked with period products since November of 2021.
Rather than flood the pantry with duplicate items, I have asked for financial donations and then worked with a OAFP staff member to provide the exact, real time needs. This has worked well so far (with trust in me from the individuals). I have kept detailed spreadsheets and receipts in the case that anyone would ever want to see how the money is spent.
Last November, the amount of OAFP guests increased significantly, and therefore so did the needs. I had to roughly triple the amount of money I am spending on products each month. At this rate we will run out of money far short of the annual time that I ask my core group for contributions.
This is such an important cause to me, and one that I believe other people would support (outside of my network). Rather than continuing to only ask the same generous group of people, I have decided to put together a raffle to try to gather donations from more members of our community.
While the real prize is supporting a VERY important cause, it is also fun to win some stuff too!
Check out these AWESOME prizes from generous Oregon Businesses!
- One 45 min life coaching with Certified Life Coach Kristin Thysse plus some awesome Thysse Printing swag ($115 value)
- $50 BellaReis Gift Certificate & Two bottles of wine from The Wine Reserve
- $100 Firefly Gift Certificate & travel coffee mug
- One Youth Summer Training membership OR adult Zone Racing Team membership, Zone Racing Team Swag, and a swim lesson package with video analysis with Master Swim Coach Cynthia at Pinnacle ($300 value)
- $100 HQ Gift Card & Merch
SO- How can YOU help?
Fill out this form: https://forms.gle/irafuSu4xJ1U1TCg9
All donations can be paid via Venmo to @Miranda-Bush-2
Each $20 donation earns an entry into the random raffle drawing. Winners will be announced on social media and notified by email.
Already have, or are not able to donate? You can still win!
- Share this on social media for three entries!
- Refer a friend(s). Referrals are indicated in the form required for entry. Every $20 donated by your referrals earns you an entry!
Donations for this raffle are all due by May 2nd at noon. Winners will be announced daily the week of May 15th.
Please share! My goal is to be able to keep providing period products to those in need in Oregon, WI indefinitely!
Thank you to our generous local businesses!!